One of the sides I made for the birthday party was tabbouleh salad. OR, as my mom referred to it (no matter how many times I gently corrected her): “Tabore” (pronounced, “tuh-bore”) salad.
Here’s how I make it (adapted from the Barefoot Contessa)”
1 cup whole wheat couscous
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used the bottled stuff)
1/4 cup evoo
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
1 cup minced green onions (white and green parts)
1 cup chopped fresh mint
1 cup chopped Italian (flat leaf) parsley
1 English (hot house) cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and diced
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes (halved)
1. Place couscous in large bowl.
2. Pour in 1 1/2 cups boiling water, and add lemon juice, evoo, and 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt.
3. Stir, then allow to stand for about an hour.
4. Add green onions, mint, parsley, cucumber, and tomatoes. Mix well.
5. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
It’s delicious (if I do say so myself)!
Love, Mom (Shelley)